Minutes of HOA Board Meeting on July 14, 2020

Business

  1. Commencement: Meeting called to order at 7:06 p.m. with Anna Urman, Carlos Chadha, Eric Kerby, Erika King, Dave Balandrin, Hal Allen, and Jim McDonald. *Meeting conducted remotely due to COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Previous Meeting Minutes: Approved May 2020 minutes. Unable to conduct June meeting due to lack of quorum.
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Expenses: No major expenses other than regular landscaping. Will send out reports after check/PayPal processing complete.
    • Online payment status:
      • Approximately $4,700 in outstanding HOA fees yet for this year.
      • Limit on amount of PayPal distributions per month without incurring fee, batching distributions to prevent fees.
      • Money needs to be moved between BB&T accounts with each import (PayPal defaults deposit to wrong account).
  • Other Business
    • Architectural Guidelines
      • Draft Revisions: Will plan screenshare for next month to make edits in real time and finalize.
      • Electronic form for AC requests.
    • Volunteer Opportunities
      • AC: Still only have 2 AC members.
    • Community Picnic Planning
      • Still moving forward with plans, subject to change based on pandemic conditions; some activities may have to be skipped (e.g., face painting, bouncy house). Discussed contracts should be contingent on Virginia pandemic status.
      • Grill: Concerns about willingness of community volunteers to share in current pandemic conditions; better to plan to rent ($77) or purchase grill ($300-$500). Need to consider storage space if we purchase.
    • Grounds
      • Park signage: County confirmed no permit required as signs will be on private property and not visible from public street.
      • Bridge: May need some maintenance.
      • Park asphalt: No updates at this time.
      • UPS damage to Flintstone pipestem: UPS Insurance issued check to HOA ($667) which will be distributed to homeowner who made claim and will get repairs.
    • Newsletter: Only 1 article contribution from board after May’s meeting. Great idea, but no one has time to make it happen at this time. Will shift focus to mailing list/social media announcements for now.
    • Annual Meeting Planning:
      • Will/how will we offer a virtual component? Will we offer both in person and virtual options? Zoom is a possibility for virtual participation.
    • Website Community Points of Contact: Contacts are out of date.
    • Landscaping: 3-year contract with Town & Country expires in December, need new quotes
    • Website
      • Recommendation to add links for Annual Dues payments and requesting Disclosure Packages on front page or otherwise make them readily available as these are some of the most common questions we receive.
    • Tracking general inquiries:
      • Difficulty tracking various email threads for timely responses/knowing what is still outstanding; discussion re: ticketing systems.
  • Architectural Control Committee:
    • Reviewed actions of AC
      • 4339 Streambed Way: skylights and shed approved; fence approved contingent on corrections to height
      • 4533 Flintstone: owner indicated would keep shed under 9 feet; responded 9 feet would require approval; no response
      • 4414 Rolling Brooke Court: deck color approved 
      • 4348 Rock Creek Road: approved siding color change to Sterling Gray
      • 4420 Coldbrooke Court: large, detached structure brought to board’s attention; no resolution as yet
      • 4308 Rock Creek Road: tree branches fell, damaged fence, and requires  clean up; notified owner tree from common area of adjoining subdivision
      • 6807 Vantage: door not preapproved; no further action
      • 4331 Rock Creek Road: grey paint with whitish trim approved
      • 4330 Rolling Stone Way: for sale; on July 10 the disclosure package was amended as the deck is out of compliance and is in violation of the AC guidelines
    • Clarify role of board regarding enforcement of AC guidelines: need to be fair and consistent in application; we should file a complaint if see something that raises to level of complaint, but should not actively look for violations
      • Discussed challenges with ensuring new homeowners know about guidelines. Suggestion to add welcome letter as front page of disclosure package to highlight website/board contacts/social media/AC Guidelines.
  • Complaints
    • Mr. Coleman regarding neighbors parking on/locking private drive (4315 Rolling Stone Way) – board discussed by email, in agreement for no broad community rule change. County provided information regarding easements on plats which Eric forwarded to Mr. Coleman’s lawyer.
  • Proposed Dates for major 2020 events
    • Yard Sales – Oct 17
    • Picnic – September 12
    • HOA Annual meeting – October 19
    • Santa Visit – December 19
  • Adjournment: Adjourned 8:53 p.m.
  • Follow-up Action Items:
    • Erika will draft word version for Eric to create electronic form for AC requests.
    • Jim will follow-up with individual who expressed interest in joining AC.
    • Anna & Jim will begin calling vendors for picnic planning.  
    • Dave will take measurements of shed space with goal to obtain shelving to make more room in shed.
    • Erika to reschedule installation of park signs with contractor.
    • Eric and Erika to share pictures of bridge.
    • Dave will follow-up for additional quotes on park asphalt repair/replacement.
    • Erika will contact homeowner for information to issue payment from UPS insurance claim.
    • Picnic Committee to draft language re: picnic planning.
    • Eric will draft message with picnic committee’s input for board’s review.
    • Anna will obtain pro Zoom account to begin testing with August’s board meeting.
    • Erika will attempt changes for website Community Points of Contact or follow-up with Eric for assistance.
    • Anna will email board existing Town & Country landscape contract documents for use in obtaining quotes
    • Dave will ask his landscaper to provide a quote.
    • Eric will add links under menu for Info for Residents on website to make annual dues and disclosure requests more prominent.
    • Eric and Carlos will research options for ticketing systems for tracking board email correspondence/actions.  
    • Carlos will draft language for welcome letter to add to disclosure packages.

*Amended