Minutes of HOA Board Meeting on May 18, 2021

  • Commencement: Meeting called to order at 7:11 p.m. with board members Anna Urman, Brian Mazuc, Eric Kerby, Erika King, and Jim McDonald in attendance.  Meeting conducted remotely due to COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Previous Meeting Minutes:
    • Approved April minutes
  • New Business
    • Discussed board operating procedures; some may be addressed internally and some may need legal review; questions to be discussed at future board meeting; need to establish relationship with new counsel for HOA matters
      • Pipestem matters:
        • damaged asphalt – who is responsible for repairs?
        • private vs communal property – do changes require unanimous consent? what is the board’s role?
      • Records retention policy
      • HOA privacy and privacy policy
      • Roles/responsibilities/authorities of committee chairpersons
        • Minimum number of committee members?
        • Can chair add/remove members?
        • What if committee doesn’t unanimously agree or if there is a tie vote?
    • Default meeting time and location
      • Establishing 2nd Mondays, 7 p.m. as a standard meeting time; will revisit if we find it is always a conflict for any board member
      • Will provide hybrid meeting space going forward, with both in person and remote participation options due to varying comfort levels related to pandemic
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Annual dues payments coming through online payment; approximately 10 disclosure packages so far this year
    • Landscaping bill: last bill appears to be for 2 months at lower rate; Anna sent email to confirm bill covered 2 months
    • Notice of online payment option and increase to $70/annual base rate for dues effective 5/2022 sent out via email distribution list on 5/18/21; mailed statements for 2021 to include same notice; Anna will determine who has not paid electronically and prepare/mail paper statements
  • Architectural Control (AC) Committee
    • Items not addressed in the AC guidelines (e.g., driveways)
      • Guidelines need to be updated to include these items
      • In interim, consider requests in terms of concept, compatibility, and impact on neighbors as outlined in the guidelines; raise any concerns to the board as needed
    • Disclosure Packages
      • 7016 Bedrock Rd: no visible AC violations
      • 7007 Bedrock Rd: shed in SE corner of the back yard needs to be repaired or removed; not in AC file
      • 4410 Coldbrooke Ct: no visible AC violations
      • 6811 Vantage Dr: no visible AC violations
      • 6816 Rock Creek Ct: no violations noted
      • 4428 Flintstone Rd: no violations noted; fence has been repaired as viewed from S. Kings Hwy
      • 4442 Flintstone Rd: no violations noted
      • 6818 Rock Creek Ct: no violations noted
      • 4311 Rolling Stone Way: no violations noted but is missing a shutter and garage door is borderline needing work
    • AC Requests:
      • Ticket #376166 (new siding): AC vote pending
      • Ticket #196511 (HAM antenna): AC escalated to board for vote –
        • Unanimous approval by board for conditional approval as written; subject to change if any complaints received
      • Ticket #897577 (deck/fence): approved
      • Ticket #805204 (fence): pre-approved
      • Ticket #735369 (paint shutters and front door): approved
      • Ticket #803309 (use of jointly owned circle): referred to Private Streets Committee
      • 7125 Whetstone Rd (backyard playground, concrete driveway): approved
  • Private Streets (PS) Committee
    • Met 5/3/18 to review PS accounts and committee responsibilities
      • PS dues set at $2/month in 1972 and never increased; insufficient to cover PS maintenance needs
      • Considering options (increasing dues, refunding money, or treating funds as single pool to address greatest needs); some options may require legal review; will hold separate meeting with PS homeowners
      • Request for disbursement pending; Anna will follow-up
  • Neighborhood Watch (NW)
    • Virtual meeting 4/29/21 with MPO Martin Goodley, Crime Prevention Officer for Mt. Vernon District Station, Fairfax County Police Department who provided overview on NW program
    • Officer Goodley offers recurring virtual training on various topics; Brian will post details on Facebook as they become available
    • FCPD will provide 2 free signs but we have to install
  • Volunteer Coordination
    • Add Neighborhood Watch opportunity
  • The Villager
    • Draft provided by editor on 4/24/21, board to review and provide comments via email to Eric no later than 5/23/21
    • Next distribution goal: After picnic in September, to include write-up and/or pictures from picnic (after picnic, with pictures); send out electronic/Facebook notice in advance of picnic also
  • Other Business
    • Complaints
      1. Yard debris/trash pickup (Facebook complaint)
        1. Will treat informally; check with homeowners to see if they require assistance
      1. Ticket #282672 (PS asphalt damage): will seek legal counsel
    • Ticket #859493 (commercial dumpster): allowed but request short duration (30 days or less) and recommend advising neighbors of temporary nature
    • Ticket #881993 (dead tree): follow-up via email again; will need to stop by if no response within a few days
  • Upcoming events
    • Picnic & Food Drive (September 11)
    • Fall Yard Sale (September 18)
    • Annual Meeting (October 18)
    • Santa Visit (December 18)
  • Adjournment:  9:23 p.m.
  • Follow-up Action Items
    • All: Compile list of concerns which we feel may warrant legal review to be discussed internally before proceeding
    • All: Review newsletter and send comments to Eric by 5/23
    • Anna/Jim: Locate potential firm/attorney to put on retainer and/or for ad hoc inquiries
    • Anna: prepare and mail paper dues statements for any dues not paid electronically; Erika will assist if desired
    • Brian/Anna: Review printing options
    • Anna: Follow-up on PS disbursement request
    • Erika: Post NW volunteer opportunity
    • Brian: Informally contact homeowner on Vantage re: yard debris
    • Eric: respond to tickets #859493 and #881993