Minutes of HOA Board Meeting on November 8, 2021

  • Commencement: Meeting called to order at 7:04 p.m. with board members Anna Urman, Dan King, Eric Kerby, Erika King, and Jim McDonald in attendance. Meeting conducted remotely.
  • Previous Meeting Minutes:
    • Vote for approval of September and October minutes to be conducted via poll to enable feedback from members not present
  • New Business
    • Unanimous vote to allow another week to collect nominations for officer and/or committee changes from members not present followed by online poll for confirmation of new officers prior to the end of November
    • Self-nominations for officers:
      • Eric, Anna, and Erika open to reconfirming
      • Dan self-nominates for Vice President
    • Vote for recurring meeting schedule to be conducted via poll to enable feedback from members not present
    • Santa visit – need to coordinate with fire department and identify volunteers
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Major expenses: Insurance, DOPR licensing and annual report
    • Unanimous vote to transition from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online Simple Start ($25/month); will determine if there is a need to upgrade for additional features later
    • Unanimously approved 2022 annual budget
    • Donation to St. Marks for annual meeting space; will match donation amount from 2019
    • Audit (required by by-laws)
      • Approximately $5,000 for an official audit
      • Alternate option: convene a committee
    • Reserve study
      • 5-year study required by Virginia State Code; may or may not need a reserve fund but must conduct study to make that determination
    • Received feedback from community member that placing liens against properties for unpaid dues and attorney fees is a critical board responsibility
      • Historically, board sent formal, certified demand letters through the attorney and assessed attorney fees to the account at the time of the letter
      • Liens tend to be recovered only at the time of sale or refinancing; however, we already recover funds at the time of sale through the disclosure process without incurring legal fees
      • Need to (re)establish a formal process and identify company to process demand letters and liens
  • Architectural Control (AC) Committee
    • Proposed revisions scheduled to be sent to board by 15Nov2021
  • Website Administration/Documentation
    • Migrated from previous webhost IONOS due to instability and failure to update software
      • Attempted trial period with webhost DreamHost which was cancelled during the trial period as it was not an improvement
      • Transitioned to newest webhost A2 Hosting out of Ann Arbor, MI: more features, less cost, more stable
  • The Villager
    • Plan for December distribution: annual picnic summary and photos, annual meeting summary and location of minutes, NW update, AC guidelines review, calls to volunteer, trash can policy, Santa visit
  • Other Business
    • Review pending tickets and action items
    • Annual meeting follow-up and unassigned tasks
      • Trash can reminder to community – will include in next newsletter
      • Poison ivy remediation in common areas
      • Woodstone HOA Common Area
      • Lee District Land Use Committee
      • Ticket 784449 (tree clearing on HOA property)
      • Power wash park bridge
      • Power wash playground equipment
  • Upcoming events
    • Santa Visit (December 18)
  • Adjournment:  8:38 p.m.
  • Follow-up Action Items
    • Anna: Transition to QuickBooks Online Simple Start
    • Anna: Identify donation amount from 2019 and send check to St. Mark’s for same amount
    • Eric: Follow-up with Supervisor Lusk regarding materials to post with minutes
    • Eric: coordinate with Brian on follow-up on outstanding tickets
    • Erika: request for officer nominations or requests for committee changes (to be completed by the 15th)
    • Erika: polls for officers, recurring meeting schedule, September and October minutes (to be completed prior to Thanksgiving)
    • Erika: send link for asphalt paving quotes
    • Erika: send list of unassigned action items to board in follow-up email
    • Erika: Identify addresses for houses bordering park and draft letter for targeted mailing for power wash water supply volunteers (incentivize with credit of annual dues?)
    • Jim: Identify volunteer for Santa (1 week) and coordinate with fire department for Santa visit on 12/18, 10-11 a.m.
    • Jim: proposal for reserve study recommendations; schedule separate meeting to discuss details; open to any board members who wishes to participate
    • Jim: send write-up to board regarding picnic for feedback and incorporation into December newsletter
    • Poison ivy remediation in common areas
    • Locate service provider for filing demand letters and liens for delinquent accounts