Minutes of HOA Board Meeting on June 13, 2019

Meeting called to order at 7:26 p.m. with Hal Allen, Dave Balandrin, Anna Urman, Jim McDonald, and Liz Loevner in attendance. 

Business

  1. Previous Meeting Minutes: Minutes from the May 2019 meeting were unanimously approved.
  2. Treasurer’s Report:
    • The Treasurer has received the majority of HOA dues for the year. Recent expenses included legal fees and landscaping.
  3. Other Business:
    • Arborist Survey:  Dave and Liz will work together to move forward on this issue.
      • Moon Rock property – concern over trees overhanging private property. Reviewed arborist’s assessment that the branches are not perilous; there are no specific / imminent dangerous trees or branches that cause a concern.  A comprehensive HOA assessment will be performed to include the HOA – owned trees adjacent to subject property. None of the 3 arborist companies determined that any of the trees were dead, as property owner asserted.
    • Storage Building:  Liz will give the 2nd key to David. Liz will move the items that used to be in former Board member Earl’s shed into the community storage building. Liz will send out a note to the Board for assistance with moving.
    • Park Signage:  Anna received an estimate from Fast Signs for signage and installation for two ‘Park Closes at Dusk’ signs. The estimate numbers do not add up; will ask for clarification.
    • Architectural Control Committee:
      • 7006 Bedrock: clarification on parking of vehicles and RVs. David responded by recommending that if there is a specific issue, he should file a formal complaint with the Board for investigation.
      • 7010 Bedrock: Owners submitted request for a garage extension. Architectural committee approved all the elements of the extension.
      • 7124 Whetstone:  major work being done on the property to address issues raised by Architectural committee. 
      • 7018 Vantage Court:  The owners built a fence which violates Fairfax County regulations. Upon advice from architectural committee chairman, they are going to apply for an exemption from the County.
      • 7003 Vantage Drive:  nonconforming teardown. In consultation with HOA attorney, the HOA has reasonable expectation that it would prevail should the matter come to litigation. It might be up to $10,000 to go to court, likely less.
      • 4419 Coldbrooke:  Architectural committee believes that the play structure does not conform to HOA appearance standards in design, finish materials, or architectural style.  Jim will write a note citing the expected standards of approved structures, and asking the homeowner to submit an architectural request for the shed, detailing what it would look like when completed. Board recommends that the Architectural Committee consider what could be done to make it as conforming as possible, to give the homeowner an opportunity to fix it.
      • 4500 Vantage  – provided suggestions / model homes of the same design as examples; requested that the homeowner submit samples.
      • Architectural Committee rule suggestions
        • Considering asking for copies of the building permits that are submitted to the county. Board moves that HOA NOT request building permits as a requirement.
        • The approval form for architectural requests is ‘paper’ but most work and approvals are conveyed over email. Solutions:
          • Creating a fillable PDF that could be emailed and signed entirely electronically
          • Using the email ‘paper trail’ as proof of the process of approvals. Anna will look at NitroPro to create a fillable PDF form library.
    • Park Update:  Dave reached out to Town & Country Landscaping for an estimate on fixing the below issues, but has not heard back. Will consider other estimates – Liz and Dave have a few potential names (J&L Tree Service, Hector).
      • Clogged Drainage Pipe:  There is a clogged drainage pipe near Rollingbrooke Ct.  Dave will contact T&C to receive an estimate on cleaning it out.
      • Dead Tree:  There is a dead tree near the bridge.  This will be noted when we have the arborist survey completed.
      • Playground maintenance:  Dave will get a quote from T&C to remedy the following issues:
        • Swirly Slide:  The swirly slide has rust and is in need of paint.
        • Graffiti:  Two panels have graffiti that should be painted over.
        • Landscape:  The landscape fabric needs fixed, especially under the swings.
    • Aging in Place Coordinator email from HDLTCCC@fairfaxcounty.gov
      • “Did you know that between 2010 and 2030 the number of Northern Virginians age 65+ is projected to grow by 76%?  Now is a good time to start preparing for how your community can help one another age in place.  Fairfax County has a staff person who can assist you in reaching this goal.   We are assisting neighborhoods, throughout Fairfax County, to form aging-in-place support programs.  Whether you have just a few or many older adults in your community, we hope you will contact us to learn more.  We can meet with you, provide a presentation to your community, or speak with you over the phone.
        Sincerely,
        Tanya Disselkoen
        Aging-in-Place Village Coordinator
        Email: N2N@fairfaxcounty.gov  703-246-8962 Website: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/health/neighbor
      • Liz will reach out to schedule a presentation at the Annual Meeting.
    • Annual meeting – need to let St Mark’s know to reserve space. Dave will ask Earl about a contact at the Church.
  4. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:39 p.m.