Minutes of HOA Board Meeting on May 23, 2020

Business

Commencement: Meeting called to order at 10:14 a.m. with Anna Urman, Dave Balandrin, Eric Kerby, Erika King, Hal Allen, Jim McDonald, and Liz Loevner.

  • Previous Meeting Minutes: Approved April 2020 minutes.
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Online payment status – Approximately 70 PayPal orders to date; orders still coming in steadily.  Anna completed one partial transfer from PayPal to bank as test which took about 3 days to complete.  Anna will transfer again at the end of the month.
    • Expenses: tree, landscaping, postage, and printing costs.  Anna will email report.
    • HOA 2020 dues notices went out. Typo in due date shows 2019 instead of 2020.
  • Other Business:
    • Architectural Guidelines
      • Anna created draft document for review/revision by board.  Discussed changes to fencing, siding, and solar panels.  Board to complete review and comments before next meeting for vote at next meeting.
      • Eric will add entry form on website for online AC requests.  Form will send notification to AC and/or board for action on submission.  Enables tracking and response from the website.
    • Volunteer Opportunities
      • AC: Jim contacted by one person who expressed interest in joining but he hasn’t yet committed.  Jim sent follow-up email.
  • Community Picnic Planning:
    • Concerns regarding pandemic possibly impacting ability to have picnic.  Will move forward with tentatively planning with understanding it may have to be cancelled later or special provisions may be needed for safety.  Anna, Jim, and Liz volunteered for sub-committee to start planning.
    • No longer have our contact at the church and may not be able to borrow church’s grill.  Approximately $200-$400 to purchase grill or may be able to borrow from community.  Erika will create volunteer opportunity for loaning grill.
    • Grounds
      • clogged drainage pipe / culvert: Jim worked on it and it is draining now; no ponding following heavy rains yesterday.  Will be removed from agenda.
      • Park signage: Approximately $250 for materials for 3 signs and $25-$50 per sign to install.  Anna will order materials.
      • Park asphalt: two quotes vary significantly
        • Complete replacement = $25k to $45k
        • Partial replacement = $4,500-$12,500
        • Lifespan of asphalt approximately 20-40 years, depending on maintenance.  Should be periodically sealed to maximize. 
        • Asphalt best installed at 70 degrees; not ideal to wait until community meeting this fall unless we push replacement to next spring.
        • Could offer private streets opportunity to use same contractors.  Dave will draft message to start conversation with community.
        • Dave will get at least one more estimate for total replacement.
        • Currently have about $100k in savings to handle large costs.
    • UPS drove over circle and damaged grounds on Flintstone pipestem.  Homeowner contacted insurance company who estimated $661 in damage but wants confirmation of property owner before issuing payment.  Per plot map, each owner on pipestem owns 1/5 of it.  Anna will email insurance company to confirm payment to property owner or work with insurance company to deposit into the private street’s account for payment for repairs.
    • Board Secretary – Erika voted in as new Secretary.
    • Newsletter – Stephanie not planning to do it going forward.
      • Discussed if newsletters should be continued.  Cons: Costs associated with printing and distributing; issues with timeliness of information; no one has bandwidth to take it on fully.  Pros: Able to reach community members not on social media/email distribution.  Will continue for now.
      • Anna will organize newsletter for next quarter.  Others will identify topics and contribute small articles no later than June 10 for review at next board meeting.
    • Mailing List – 26 subscribers currently plus others who checked the box when paying dues online; Eric will add them to distribution list.
  • Community outreach
    • Facebook: discussed role of board in administering page.
      • Current administrators: Courtney (original person who started page), Dave, Anna, Erika, Eric, Carlos
      • New requests:  Approve if we know the name or if we have verified address provided; send message if address not provided and decline if no response.
      • Moderation: Rules currently in the “about” section; Eric will update to the new “Rules” section.  Non-community members and posts with abusive language/personal insults should be removed.
      • Publicizing community-organized events:  Residents can post their own events.  Anna will reach out to book club organizer to invite her to do so.
  • Architectural Control Committee:
    • 4409 Flintstone Rd: approved
    • 4348 Rock Creek Rd: approved
    • 7107 Whetstone: approved
    • 7123 Whetstone: approved
    • 7117 Whetstone: approved
    • 6828 Vantage Dr: project delayed
    • 4423 Coldbrooke: request not yet submitted
    • 7125 Whetstone: lawn has been mowed
  • Complaints
    • Mr. Coleman regarding neighbors parking on/blocking private drive (4315 Rolling Stone Way).  Eric spoke with him today.  Situation continues, he’s still frustrated and working with his lawyer.  Eric will contact lawyer for latest update and follow-up via email to determine next steps.  General consensus that the board is not responsible for changing the rules for the entire community because of this complaint; homeowner has other options available to pursue.
  • Proposed Dates for major 2020 events
    • Yard Sales – Oct 17
    • Picnic – September 12
    • HOA Annual meeting – October 19
    • Santa Visit – December 19

Annual meeting planning.  No longer have contact at the church.  Need to start thinking about where next meeting will be held.  Could potentially rent room at local school.  Bring other ideas to next meeting.

Adjournment: 12:28 p.m.