Minutes of HOA Board Meeting on August 9, 2021

  • Commencement: Meeting called to order at 7:04pm with board members *Anna Urman, *Brian Mazuc, *Carlos Chadha, *Eric Kerby, *Dave Balandrin, and *Jim McDonald in attendance.  *Attended remotely.
  • Previous Meeting Minutes:
    • The Board unanimously approved the July meeting minutes.
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Continuing to process incoming annual assessment payments. Correcting accidental mischarge. Accounted for returned/refunded signposts. Continuing to troubleshoot additional account line item shown on balance report.
    • Anna began reaching out for estimates for a third party financial audit.
    • Anna opened an inquiry on lawyer assistance to process lien removal transactions. If nothing heard, she will reach out to Pia’s firm.
  • New Business
    • Annual meeting planning:
      • Preference is for an in-person meeting with a virtual option.
      • St Mark’s Episcopal Church venue option: Sanctuary and side rooms are both available. Need to determine if connectivity is available for a virtual option. Need to determine max capacity with social distancing. Brian will continue discussion with St. Mark’s to confirm.
      • Need to ensure virtual attendees can participate just as in-person attendees.
      • Eric will collaborate with Brian on meeting planning and logistics.
  • Private Streets (PS) Committee
    • Reserve study status: obtained 3 proposals of varying scope from firms who conduct these studies. Most would cover private street reserve planning in addition to other aspects of community association financial responsibility.
    • Jim is going to send estimates for review.
  • Neighborhood Watch (NW)
    • New Volunteer: Steve Westerheide
    • Brian obtained 4 basic community rule signs to post with the County-provided Neighborhood Watch signs.
    • Brian coordinated help to install new sign posts. Brian obtained feedback on sign locations and is coordinating with the committee on placement. The committee will be requesting approval of property owners. The committee is also considering attaching dog waste baskets on the sign posts if we can coordinate emptying them through a volunteer group. Installation should be complete with a goal by the end of September.
    • The committee reported a suspicious vehicle, which was towed away.
    • Requested a solicitor leave the neighborhood and also filed a police report.
    • Brian is looking into a shared phone number the association can use to receive calls from the community.
  • Website Administration/Documentation
    • Eric identified a different plugin which allows recurring events. Planning to migrate to it.
    • Eric continues working to improve the disclosure package request workflow.
  • Volunteer Coordination
    • Community Picnic & Food Drive planning
      • Anna reached out to volunteers who signed up but did not receive any response. She is going to call them to secure a lead volunteer.
    • Yard Sale planning – volunteers Randy and Cara Martinson
      • Duties should include: posting the Community Yard Sale sign a week in advance of each event and posting announcements to Nextdoor and Facebook and optionally other networks.
      • Board is in favor of loaning a shed key to these volunteers.
    • May need volunteers for audit committee; more information to follow once Anna receives estimates from professional financial auditors.
  • The Villager
    • Eric posted/emailed the July issue on 22 Jul 2021.
    • For the next issue, plan for late September distribution, include write-up and/or photos from community picnic if possible.
  • Architectural Control (AC) Committee
    • No updates to report on project requests.
    • Contacted 2 property owners who recently purchased properties with violations noted in the disclosure packaged. The residents did not note an intention to submit for exception or correct violations. The Board needs to discuss the approach to enforcement in these situations. The Board agrees that continued inspection of properties for violations from public view when processing disclosure package requests is the approved process.
      1. The Board voted on current procedures and a majority voted in favor of taking no further action on violations found during the disclosure package process (unless the Board receives a complaint)
    • New committee member (Marci Bonner) was accepted. Brian reached out to get her onboarded.
  • Other Business
    • Complaints
      • Ticket #784449: The Board received a complaint about the resident of 4321 Stream Bed Way clearing trees/vegetation on HOA property behind his house. The Board voted to accept this complaint as a violation and will immediately send a letter to cease and desist while any needed remediation is investigated.
      • 4313 Rolling Stone Way: Complaint received stating the fence at 4313 is in disrepair. Board majority vote accepted the violation. Brian has the homeowner’s phone number and will call to inform of the violation and request a plan for remedy be submitted within 30 days.
      • 4311 Rolling Stone Way: Complaint received stating that 4311 has cars parked on the grass. The Board was not able to confirm this violation, but will review if evidence is obtained.
      • 4330 Rolling Stone Way: Complaint received stating 4330 Rolling Stone Way painted their brick a tan color not compliant with Architectural Guidelines. Board confirmed no AC request had been submitted and voted to accept the complaint. Brian will reach out to seek resolution.
      • 4315 Rock Creek Road: Complaint received stating 4315 Rock Creek Road painted brick/house a gray color without AC request. Brian initiated contact. The homeowner since has submitted a request to the AC committee: Ticket #807025
      • 7007 Bedrock Road: Complaint received stating 7007 Bedrock Road is currently spray painting their brick and siding dark gray out of compliance and without AC request. Board voted to accept the complaint and initiate contact via letter (Jim was opposed to this approach as stated). Brian will dig up examples/precedent. Dave to type up copy.
      • 7008 Bedrock Road: Complaint received stating 7008 Bedrock Road has a yard filled with cars and trucks and tools and work apparatus including a pickup truck with flattened tires. Board voted to accept this complaint. The Board will send a letter to notify the homeowner.
  • Upcoming events
    • Picnic & Food Drive (September 11)
    • Fall Yard Sale (September 18)
    • Annual Meeting (October 18)
    • Santa Visit (December 18)
  • Adjournment:  9:57 p.m.
  • Follow-up Action Items
    • Anna: obtaining estimates for professional assessment for a financial audit or determine if volunteer opportunity.
    • Brian/Eric: collaborate on annual meeting planning
    • Jim: send reserve study estimates
    • Board: review/comment on reserve study estimates to allow next steps
    • Eric: work disclosure package workflow for website
    • Eric: reach out to yard sale volunteers with details
    • Board: review latest newsletter content suggestions and sign up to provide articles
    • Brian: Will coordinate AC guidelines draft proposal for presentation in September for review in advance of the annual meeting.
    • Eric: follow up to respond to Victoria?
    • Eric: notify Angela of next Newsletter target date
    • Eric: send cease and desist letter to 4321 Stream Bed Way
    • Eric: send letter notifying of rules violation to 7008 Bedrock Road
    • Brian/Dave: draft letter for AC violation at 7007 Bedrock Road
    • Brian: contact 4330 Rolling Stone about AC violation
    • Brian: contact 4313 Rolling Stone Way about AC violation
    • Anna and Eric: coordinate on QB trial
    • Erika and Eric: create recurring event on website with date/time of upcoming meetings & draft written policy for upload to document library